Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sydney || Sainte-Chappelle

Yesterday I went to Sainte-Chappelle. For those of you who don't know about this cathedral, it was built in the 13th century to house relics brought back to Paris from the crusades. King Louis IX was the king over the project and wanted it to be amazing. They did a good job.

I have been dreaming about going to Sainte-Chappelle for years. I'd heard of it before, but it was in an art history class my freshman year at BYU where I became fascinated with it. We learned all about the painting of the interior, the stained glass windows, the gothic architecture of the inside and outside. I went so far as to spend an hour taking a virtual tour online and examining all the different parts of the cathedral from the library on campus.

Most of my study abroad group was with me when we entered Sainte-Chappelle. There are two levels to the cathedral, and we entered on the bottom floor. We climbed a narrow spiral staircase for a while and could see nothing but the white stones of the walls and stairs.

I really wish I could have seen my face when I came out of the staircase. I had no warning at all that just around the curve of the stairs would be the most amazing cathedral I had dreamed of for years.

You'll forgive me when I tell you that my eyes watered. The entire time I could not believe that I had actually made it. I had actually made it to Sainte-Chappelle.

It was definitely a highlight of my stay in France so far!

And then we went and got crêpes afterwards. The perfect end to the most amazing experience.

Enjoy my photos! :)

As if the downstairs weren't impressive enought...

They went and did this to the upstairs!



Altar

This is Cori. She and I had pretty much the same experience with Sainte-Chappelle.

Seriously?! This was killing me.

Nate, Cori, and I eating nutella and banana crêpes!

No comments:

Post a Comment