Saturday, September 15, 2012

Wizards For Obama

Hello world!

What a busy, busy week!

Things are buzzing on campus (mostly because Greek life was recruiting like crazy) but exams are starting to appear on people's radii (such a great word) and school is definitely real.

I was not excluded from this Greek life recruitment, and was out at events for my professional fraternity wrangling in new people and being really mediocre at small talk. The last night of our rush was so ridiculously goofy and refreshing, and really reminded me of why I'm so proud to be part of that organization. It was organized to be Game Night, and we spent the first 45 minutes playing our board games and putting together puzzles, but it didn't take long before things escalated to a whole new level. I don't know if you've ever seen a room full of sugared up engineers play Jenga, but if you ever get the chance it's a fairly phenomenal experience.

This is the photo I got right as it was falling down. It was up to 35 moves!!! At this point they'd gathered an audience of at least 25 people.

From there it just kind of naturally progressed to ninja, (click here for example (jump to 1:06)), until at one point I looked around the room and there was one group making beautiful, intricate and tall structures out of jenga blocks, some break dancing in the center of the room, a large group arm wrestling at the welcome table and the rest chatting and making friends. 

I wish I could make this up. 

The rest of my week was filled with class projects, more ambassador recruitment and FINALLY QUIDDITCH PRACTICE. There's something so oddly nostalgic about dragging the PVC pipe quidditch hoops across campus, finding a spot center field on our lovely little quidditch lawn and watching some of my favorite people on campus run around on broomsticks as Burns Tower chimes (you can start placing your bets on how many of these posts will involve The Tower, Harry Potter or both). And the strange looks from passerbys, many of whom stop to take a photo or two. 

Throughout practice we couldn't help but noticed the, ehem, variety of athleticism amongst our players, which ranged from a whispy computer science boy in a Blue Man Group t-shirt and pageboy cap, to a six-plus foot senior rugby player, racing up and down the field on a baseball bat, because that's the closest thing he had to a broom. I can't express my fascination and adoration for the things that Nerd Culture have produced, and quidditch is at the top of that list. 

SPEAKING OF WHICH, check out what I received in the mail this week: 
So very pleased with myself. 

And as the Imperial March (from Star Wars) pops up on my iTunes, I feel I have reached my cue to sign off.

Sydney has been without a computer, but will return to the blog next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment